The fourth principle is Apply Self-Regulation and Accept feedback.
How do we do this?
In reading David Holgrens book, Permaculture Principles and Pathways beyond sustainability, I have found that the easiest way to apply this principle is to use his self-audit process.
“The self-audit process
• List or brainstorm all your needs, wants, addictions, abilities, liabilities, and responsibilities.
• Consider all the influences and connections.
• Map the material and energy flows and your personal movement patterns.
• Take responsibility without guilt or blame on others.
• Look for the easiest opportunities for reducing dependence, minimizing harm and
improving quality of life.
• Make small changes and review the audit regularly.”
He also states “…people still live
to a remarkable degree in the world that they can see, hear and touch, while almost all our food and other needs are provided by sources beyond the reach of our senses. This means we need more conscious and explicit awareness of our dependence and impact, followed by the reorganization of our lives to close the circle of cause and effect so that our needs are provided closer to home.”
Applying self-regulation means many things for as many people. For some it may mean birth control. Other, reducing use of plastic. For myself, I decided that one way I could have an impact was to get rid of my car and utilize public transportation and walking. Whatever we decide to do it does not have to be monumental. It can be as simple as using paper instead of plastic. Basically it’s to discourage inappropriate activity to ensure that systems function well. Once you have accomplished this, you can go on to the next issue.
For me it’s always been about the journey, not the destination.
What does this principle mean to you?
At Pan Gaia Permaculture we have created a PDC (Permaculture Design Certification) course that reflects the above.
Join us on April 2, 2022 for an interactive, online Permaculture Design Certification course (PDC).
- Third Online PDC - September 28, 2022
- 5 Most Epic Earth Healing Projects! - August 31, 2022
- Integrate rather than Segregate – Permaculture Principle #8 - April 11, 2022